The training process should be continuance to increase candidates’ capabilities on their present jobs, and at the same time prepares them to take an additional responsibility in future. Developing talent reserve takes time but assumes having the best, ready to step into positions of greater responsibility when needed. Training approach used to be a form of job enrichment, but in focusing on investment’s return, there is a wide spread feeling that training must yield tangible economic results; to accomplish this, training must concentrate on showing people how to solve specific problems in their organizations. Hence, there should be a serious approach to the training program, as to time and money investments, an investment which can’t afford a loss, which certainly is a good start. The vital aspects to be considered are:
- Training as a response to current needs. The best ways to determine what training should accomplish is to find out, what your present employees feel, as to what their own preparation lacks.
- What areas should training cover? In areas of knowledge, to consider which are success essentials in employees’ role, and those areas where they need additional training. Can we say the nature of job and performance strengthening?
- How do employees spend their time on the job? The activities which consume the most of their time are those that should receive top priority in training.
However, training should have sensitivity in it, i.e. influencing trainee’s behavior by creating self-awareness. Sensitivity training has both, zealous advocates and equally outspoken critics.
The major goals in it include:
- Helping participants to improve their understanding of human behavior and their ability to predict reactions.
- Engaging them in analysis of the processes in which people relate to each other.
- Demonstrating and analyzing the processes in which people relate to each other.
- Increasing participants’ awareness of the impression they create.
- Heightening their sensitivity to the opinions and feelings of others.
- Increasing the personal satisfaction they receive from their relationships with others.
Therefore, we say that one course or program usually brings out the need for another. As new problems are constantly arising, and new techniques continue to be developed, does not mean that a nonstop series of course training should continue. But interest in problems, means that they should be kept alive by further courses on special issues; by discussion meeting with management experts, specially, organization’s problems and policies, and by encouraging staff to keep them up-to-date.
Malek A. Tabbara (CPC)
LFS – Training Manager
It’s not your boss
Who pays your cheque
It’ your customer
Promise only what you can deliver
Deliver more than you promised
New beginingsIn Life
In Life, what sometimes appears
to be the end
Is really a new Beginning